Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Welcome for Steve Angrisano (Saturday, August 30, 2008)

Sisters and Brothers: Welcome! Whether this is your regular parish community or you are visiting us tonight we are glad that you have come to be with us and the Lord. Tonight is an evening for us to once again offer our praise and thanks to God – in a very special way through song. St. Augustine once said that “Singing is praying twice.” St. Augustine never heard our guest who is here with us. I first heard Steve Angrisano’s music about eight years ago when I began to work with a LIFE TEEN Program at St. Martin of Tours Parish in Bethpage, Long Island. His music has inspired me, has gotten me through some dark moments, it has lifted the spirit of the young and the old that I shared it with. Listening to his music and lyrics has made me feel as if I was praying more than twice. I’ve only heard Steve play live once – in the midst of thousands at World Youth Day in Toronto in 2002. I am looking forward to more intimate experience tonight. His songs have made a difference in my life and a number of young adults and teens I have worked with. May they lift our hearts and souls to the heavens this evening.

Well, you didn’t come to listen to me so let me just end by say that it is my great honor to welcome Steve Angrisano to St. Clement’s Church here in Saratoga Springs, NY.

One last thing before you begin, Steve. I have used your song “Psalm 63: As Morning Breaks” on countless retreats for Morning Praise. If you don’t mind I have re-written the refrain and if I don’t get in trouble with copyright laws I’d like to offer it to you now.

We welcome you tonight Steve
Thank you for being here
May our God bless you tonight Steve
Lead us tonight in prayer
Guide us tonight in prayer.
(Sung to the tune of "Psalm 63: As Morning Breaks")

No comments: